Pages

Sunday 1 October 2023

The new academic year and writing

 There is something about September that drives me to think about next steps, a bit like returning to school after the summer holidays. I think, too, that as the days shorten and become chilly, we batten down to things that can be done indoors. In the summer I write less. I am a spring/summer person and want to be out when the weather is good, not stuck in stuffy room writing. When I do write in the summer, it's usually earlier in the morning when the sun is rising. I love sunrises and sunsets, and I love early morning when no one much is around.

So, now we have slipped into October, I feel autumn knocking at the door, and while I love those bright sunny days of autumn with all those beautiful russet colours, I sink into myself when the sun doesn't shine and the skies are grey. I'm even worse when it rains! This is the time to plan. I have signed up for an online workshop in November on writing gothic/ghost stories. I've dabbled a bit with them in the past, but it will be good to get some pointers and advice and spread my wings a little.

Book with new notebook

I have also begun working with the book 52: Write a Poem a Week. Start Now. Keep Going  by Jo Bell. And yesterday was my research day. After having no time (holiday and family stuff) in the last month, I can now begin to devote more time to writing. I spent breakfast time yesterday going through the Mslexia Indie Press Guide and highlighting potential places to send my manuscript. Later that morning, I visited the library and looked through the Writers' & Artists' Yearbook, jotting down things of interest (publishers, agents and websites/blogs) that could be of use to me. Now to narrow things down and actually send my manuscript out!


Research!

While I've been concentrating on a longer piece of work, I have missed submitting. Maybe this is the time to rectify that. I know it's silly because I have worked my socks off this year, but I have so little to show for it in terms of submissions/acceptances. This year was always going to be different, but I didn't realise how much it would impact on any new writing and submissions. I feel so out of the loop.

The one place I have submitted to now and then is Visual Verse, and I was rewarded with having my poem Night Away published there last month. Look under my name (Heather Walker) which is in alphabetical order in the archive. They list it by first names! I think Visual Verse have one more month of publication before the site closes. I shall miss the prompts, as often it is my go-to place to kick-start writing.

Now is the time to lean back on my old faithfuls of poetry and short fiction and get back to submitting. It might start with stutter, but I look forward to getting back into the swing of things.

Books

I chose a book to take on holiday with me, and then started it a few days before I left! With only a quarter of it to go, I had to take a second book with me. The original book was Heartbreak Hotel by Deborah Moggach. This was the follow-up to The Ex-Wives Club, which I didn't realise at the time, but had in fact read. It was a fun book, with lots of romantic encounters as Buffy, retired actor, is left a B&B by a lady friend from the past. The people who come to the courses he has arranged (like car maintenance) pair up. The book is funny and has the feel-good factor. A nice easy read.


The Last White Man
by Mohsin Hamid was the other book I took away with me because it was small and easy to pack. I've read a couple by this author before. They are always thought provoking, but often the endings leave me a little unsatisfied. I chose this book for the subject matter, and indeed it was an interesting read. The ending also satisfied! Anders wakes to find his skin has turned brown overnight. He hides, and when he goes out he covers up as much as possible. He hardly recognises himself in the mirror. Eventually he tells his girlfriend and at first she doesn't know how to react. But Anders is not the only one to turn brown. It is happening all over. Suddenly they are treated differently. There are riots. While all this happening Anders is looking after his dying father, while his relationship with his girlfriend deepens. This is an interesting subject on how we treat people not like ourselves. We often make judgements based on colour and race. A satisfying read, one I would recommend.


While I was on holiday, and a friend and I slipped into a bookshop (as you do), I bought Holy Island by LJ Ross. This is the first in a long series of crime novels. It was big and bulky, but I left my other two novels at the hotel, having read both by now. (They had a bookcase just waiting!). Set on Holy Island (Lindisfarne), a girl is murdered, and it looks like a ritual killing. The DCI is on a sabbatical on the island after his last case become personal, and decides now is the time to return. Soon there are two more murders. Is it a serial killer or more than one person? Ramping up the tension was good. With an island where the causeway is only accessible at certain times, makes this an ideal location. (I have been here, and longed to walk across the causeway, but we went by bus!). There are suspects, red herrings, tension. I thought I knew who was involved, but was only partly right. If you like your crime gritty, this is pretty good. Thinking about this book afterwards I did wonder if some of it was believable, but hey, I enjoyed it. The love interest was a little predictable, but most are really. A faced paced page turner. What's not to like?



Oh Dear, Maria
by Abigale Ted was a very different read. To start with it's set in Regency times. Maria is married off my her father to Sidney Jackson, a man she had met before but known as Mr King. Maria is temperamental and throws tantrums when she doesn't get her own way. Mr Jackson (as she mostly calls him) is patient and thinks he's married someone unhinged. This is a funny story, but also sad. Maria has been manipulated by others all her life and does not seem to know how to make any decision herself, down to what to wear. She can also faint to order. This comes in handy when she is faced with things she doesn't know or want to deal with. But this has tragic consequences later in the story. The story includes some domestic violence, race and other subjects. Marie is not liked by some for her loud and inappropriate speech. She is still such a girl and has a lot of growing up to do, though she does make some good points on love! It took me a while to get into this book as it's so different to what I normally read, but the humour comes through, as do the attitudes of the time.


No comments: