Pages

Saturday 2 September 2023

Novellas, a poem and three book reviews

 The novella I have been working on for at least five years (set at Christmastime), is nearing completion. I had the feedback from my proofreader/beta reader and she brought up two things. I have worked on the major one (just one scene) and have sent that back for her for further feedback. I'd been putting it off and concentrating instead on the latest piece I am writing. I thought I was in the last five thousand words of completing that, but had a moment when I thought I should write something from another character's point of view, and then I had another idea to fire up some more tension between the main character and her husband. Because all this is still flying around my brain, I decided to solve the issue with my long-running novella. Once this is ready I want to send it out on submission and see what happens. Watch this space!

I have had a poem accepted by a magazine. It came as a shock as I submitted it back in March, and I probably was going to give up hearing from them. I don't yet know when it will be published. They wrote asking if my poem was still available and that they would delighted to publish it! I will let you know when I have more details.

Book Reviews


The Company of Heaven
by Catherine Fox, is the last in the series of The Lindchester Chronicles (or so she says; she's said that before!) The book follows the clergy in the parishes and diocese after the last lockdown of Covid. As a bonus, there are three or four short stories at the end of the book covering Easters and Christmases. These books are always a good read and witty.

Ticket to Ride by Tom Chesshyre isn't just for railway enthusiasts, though I'm sure they will love it. Tom travels through China, India, Russia, Australia, the USA, European countries and some lines in Scotland and Kent. He begins in Crewe, where he meets trainspotters, learns a bit of the lingo and about rolling stock. The book is peppered with Tom's humour as he meets all sorts of people on his journeys. I came across Tom when I bought his book From Source to Sea, about walking the Thames Path, which I am doing in short stages. I loved reading his descriptions of places he stayed and the people he met, especially when I'd walked the same part of the river. I let my friend borrow it and she then bought Ticket to Ride. This book has the same humour, and you certainly don't need any knowledge of trains to enjoy it.


Mrs England by Stacey Halls was unputdownable. I love her books and would probably read them in one go if I had time! Ruby May, a children's nurse takes a position in a house in Yorkshire in the early 1900's. The man of the house owns a mill and the wife seems rather distracted. Ruby looks after four children, the oldest 10 years old. Soon Ruby is confused about the couple she works for. She is drawn to Charles (mill owner), but the mistress, Lilian, has secrets. The atmosphere builds well with the backdrop of the rushing of the river, the mill, dark trees and dangerous crags. A well worked novel which captures the mood of the place and ties you up in knots as to who believe!

No comments: