Pages

Sunday 22 October 2023

The loneliness of the writer and the importance of writers' events.

Literary Agents & Publishing Panel talk

 I never realise how lonely and cut off from things I am until I attend a writers' event. Yesterday, I spent a day at the Queen Elizabeth Halls on the South Bank in London listening to panel talks and Q&A's about all forms of writing. And did I need it? There was so much I identified with and so much I found positive.

This was a free event organised by creativefuture.org.uk and ran from 11am until 4pm. After an introductory talk about the day, and about Creative Future Writers' Award from Matt Freidson, Deputy Director, we were straight into the first panel talk. From Page to Publication introduced four past Award winners and their journeys as underrepresented writers. At this point I wondered if the whole day was for underrepresented writers and I had gatecrashed something I didn't belong in. But soon I felt rather at home as the writers spoke of their journey and the barriers they came across. I often found myself agreeing. There were great questions and brilliant answers. I found myself nodding, and although I've never considered myself as unrepressented (though suffering from anxiety might get me in there, plus I'm an older writer!), there was much that rang true with me, especially the 'knowing the right person', say no more!

The second talk/panel was Poetry Publishing with representatives from Bad Betty Press, Out-Spoken Press, Nine Arches Press and Live Canon, with host Sally Carruthers from The Poetry School. They all talked about their submissions policies, and what other events they ran, if any, like mentoring, workshops. There was a question about covering letters, and it seems they often skip those because it is the writing they are interested in, They said not to sweat the cover letter. A one liner is fine, and even a track record doesn't matter that much. If they like an entry they will then look at the cover letter. Just remember to do your research and find a publication you think your poetry will be a good fit for. Be polite and keep to the submission rules. Someone at this point asked how you meet fellow poets. She had tried for years and wasn't sucessful. Mention was made of The Poetry School courses, and The Poetry Society Stanza groups, online groups. The lady said she often felt she didn't fit in places, and I'd agree. It's important to find the right group. Some groups can be intimidating, and if you suffer from anxiety, it can all be too much. I've often just wanted to slip away unnoticed! I think this is the one thing I struggle with, like this lady. My anxieties hold me back in social situations. If, like one of the people on the panel, you are confident and network, great,  but networking sends me into a complete panic. And that's why I realise how lonely it can be. 

I've been to many workshops, writers' conferences and talks over the years, and though I managed to swap details with a couple of people, it's not gone any further than following someone on Twitter. The exception was a writers' group I belonged to before Covid. Here I found my place. They felt like my people- my tribe - as people like to say. But Covid destroyed that for me as Zoom doesn't work for me (more anxiety). Thankfully, two of us kept in touch, and we are still friends today. For some, networking is easy, for me and others, it is so hard.

Without access to days like yesterday, I might have given up writing. Being with other writers feels so right and fires me up to continue and try to push forward. I might not speak to anyone else, but I get so much out of these days. 

As the day continued, I saw that perhaps I do have a barrier because anxiety does hold me back. It means I cannot always do the chat. I'm also too sensitive and my confidence can dip to the gutter. The 'I'm not good enough', 'I'm wasting my time' and 'no one is going to like this' hits me. I know everyone goes through this, but for two years I couldn't write after a particularly bad experience. Anxiety turned into depression.

I don't often talk about this side of things, but yesterday made me realise that it important to discuss it. I've been published, but when you have long dry periods you soon talk yourself into the negative mindset. All the positive words you stick up on your wall, the fact you've had successes, doesn't count when you are low. But I do now try to hang on to those.

Other barriers were discussed, and one that rings true for me is money. People on low wages can't always afford to pay for courses/writing conferences/workshops. Entry fees for competitions has risen higher in the last couple of years. Publications suggest you read their previous magazines before you submit, but unless you can access stuff online, buying a copy of a magazine might be too much. I understand that small presses are having a hard time (many good ones have gone to the wall recently), but buying a subscription can also be expensive. That's why yesterday was important. The event was FREE! Lots information to be had for nothing. That rarely happens.

The final panel talk of the day was Literary Agents & Publishing. The panelists were from Avon Books, Owned Voices, and Aevitas Creative. Unfortunately the representive from Ruppin Agency was ill and couldn't make it. There was talk about the difference between an agent and publisher and how to go about choosing an agent - find someone who is looking for work in the genre you are working in. The Writers' & Artist Yearbook is a good place to start and even Googling. Agencies have agent's pages where they list what they are looking for/not looking for. You can then email that agent direct. Another suggestion was to look at books in Waterstones that a similar to yours and read the acknowledgements as the agent is mentioned and then you can look them up. The advantages of an agent over submitting direct to a publisher is that an agent can take several books that are similar because she/he can sell it to to publishers they work with, whereas if a publisher already has a client with a similar book, they will turn yours down.

There were many questions answered throughout the day, including write what you want, not pander to the market, how to get into publishing, whether to stick to just one form of writing (hell no!), the importance of feedback from other writers (not your mum!), ignoring the rule of writing everyday, just when you can (takes the pressure off), celerate others' successes and supporting others. 

I came away with a lot to think about and a couple of books! In the foyer there were reps from all those on the poetry panel, as well as Creative Future, The Poetry School, The Poetry Society, Royal Society of Literature, The Society of Authors and The Writing Coach (though I seemed to miss this one!). It was a brilliant day, and just what I needed.

Two books I bought, leaflets and a freebie mag.


No comments: