Pages

Sunday 20 September 2020

Books

 I have a list of books to buy in October - realeases of paperbacks. My son tells me that since I am so anti plastic and all for the planet, I should buy them on Kindle! I pointed out to him that in normal times (when we don't have a virus running riot) I would buy most of my books at charity shops or borrow them. The rest are usually presents that I ask for! Besides which, my read books go to charity shops or I pass them on to friends. One charity shop jumps on my books because they are like new and they want to get them on the shelves straight away! And finally, everyone is allowed a small fall and one should not beat oneself up about that. I learned that back in May when I attended some sustanability workshops online. We cannot do it all, but we try. And I did spend ten minutes or more yesterday scouring Holland & Barratt's shelves for body lotion and cleanser in containers alternative to plastic.


So, having got that over with, I have read some great books lately. The last one Three Things About Elsie by Joanna Cannon was delicious. Funny, poignant, and tear-jerking. I loved the main character, Florence and I really didn't want the book to end. Florence is living in sheltered accommodation when a man from her and Elsie's past moves in. Florence is haunted by what happened in the 1950's and now she feels she is in danger from this man. Another resident, Jack, gets drawn into the story and helps to solve the mystery of what happened as Florence's memory is not clear. This is a very clever book, and one of the best I've read this year.


The Beekeeper of Aleppo
by Christy Lefteri is another book I couldn't put down. I saw Christy speak at the Wimbledon BookFest last year and knew I had to read this. The author has personal experience of the life of refugees, her rather was one, and Christy worked in refugee camps in Greece, where she heard the heart-rending stories of people fleeing Syria and other countries. The book follows the journey of Nuri who tries to follow his cousin to England. But he and his wife struggle to come to terms with what they have experienced and find any hope. The journey is fraught with difficulties and danger. I felt so sad knowing this is still going on. It is difficult to conprehend what these people have gone through and still are. A haunting book.



The Lantern Men by Elly Griffiths is the 13th (I think) in the Ruth Galloway series. For me these books are my unwind and coming home books. I just slide into them like a bath! This book finds Ruth in a new town with a new job, living with her partner and her daughter Kate. But a case draws her back to Norfolk and DCI Nelson. The old attraction is still there and bubbles under the surface. Makes for great reading and that will-they, won't-they scenario. I'm not telling!

Letters to the Earth is by various writers from all parts of the globe and from all ages. There are politicians, children, scientists, authors and those living with climate change as it is happening around them. The letters are powerful, heartfelt, angry, sad, hopeful.  It makes me feel hopeful that so many people are shouting about this. Having watched Extinction: The Facts this week, I was stunned. I know most of the facts yet having it all thrown at us in one hour was overwhelming. I was close to tears several times. I do worry that these programmes preach to the converted. I just hope they do reach others and that people will say enough is enough and instead of moaning about the state of the world, do something about it, however small. It all makes a difference.

No comments: