Pages

Friday 4 October 2019

Moving on

I get through a lot of pens and notebooks.
Switching to recycled materials seems logical to me.
Since I last posted here I have had my critique on my novel and a couple of weeks to mull things over. The critique was much as I expected in a way. My doubts about it bore out and I think it is time to put this one to bed for a while now. I've worked with it for too many years and am too close to the character and the story to yet take it apart. Some parts are easier to rectify than others but I am lacking is a hook and a more gripping beginning. That said my character is rather unlikable though I like him immensely! By changing him I'm afraid I will lose who he is. However, there are better things, apparently I'd got his voice and I have a lively way of writing.

The main problem with this novel is that I started it without a plan. When I began writing it I wasn't even sure if it was going to be a novel. Then once I realised it was going somewhere I had to plot. It's all been done backwards in a way. Maybe this is one that will be for my eyes only. I'm certainly not in a position to do anything with it now.

So, what's next on the agenda? Not novel writing. I'm not sure I have the stamina for the long haul and I don't think my ideas are strong enough. I have decided to forget publication as such for a while and just enjoy writing. I love my writing group and enjoy being with them. There is so much laughter between the buzz of timed free writing sessions. And I am still doing my write-a-poem-a-day-for-a-year challenge. Today I move into week twenty-two. And because poetry writing is my first love I signed up to write climate crisis poetry with Live Canon. This is a twelve week online course with a group (like a forum for students to chat and get feedback) and Live Canon will give personal feedback on the poems submitted. I am really enjoying this. It's been a long time since I have had feedback on my poetry and I am finding it very constructive.

Two books I have recently read
I am also going to lots of author events. The first one was in a local library where William Shaw and Mark Hill (both crime writers) were speaking. It was a lovely evening. I have read books by both authors and they obviously know each other very well as they sparked off one another. It was a lovely evening.
On offer on the night....couldn't resist!

October is always Wimbledon Book Fest, two weeks of events. Last night I went along to the opening night at Wimbledon Library to hear Joanne Harris in conversation. I've read all Joanne's books and her latest The Strawberry Thief is the fourth in the Chocolat series. Joanne was very entertaining to listen to and I shall look forward to reading the next instalment of Vianne and her daughters.





I have tickets for three more events which all take place in a number of tents on Wimbledon Common. The next one for me is on Saturday afternoon after which I have to rush off to take part in a charity concert in Kingston. I am going to miss the pre-concert rehearsal but hopefully arrive in time to sing with the choir. I believe we are first on!

Sunday week I'm off to Belfast with my husband for three nights, a break I booked back in November last year as part of a Black Friday deal. Getting quite excited now.

A day late, here is my poem for National Poetry Day. It is based on my writing session with the writing group on Tuesday.


Writing Session

I see the streak of lightning through the café window
and soon rain bounces off the pavement like marbles
while I scribble away in my notebook on the theme
of plasters!

A sticky little number in a heavy atmosphere bearing
down in charcoal clouds, and my head and wrist ache
while minutes tick by amid sounds of pages turning
and words hastily written.

And here I am under the thunderbolts and teeming rain
writing about a cut, a magic plaster and time shifts,
the meeting between dead and alive siblings - one
offering forgiveness.

Yet none of us can plaster the cracks where water
comes in, where drips feed buckets and enter windows;
we have no time for distractions because our characters
are feeding off our darkest thoughts.


No comments: