Pages

Saturday 19 March 2022

Slow down March



 After a frantic February, March has been the opposite so far. But of course that kind of activity with  four pieces published doesn't last. But it isn't all about acceptances. My output is still the same. Somehow I am keeping to my goal, though I do admit it seems to get harder each month. 

Since I began using my planner at the start of the year, I have realised two things (a) I put pressure on myself (b) using the book motivates me. There are lots in the planner that I don't use. There are places to enter rewards for getting things done. I don't use these. Rewards are for the tough stuff in my life, and when that happened recently, it had nothing to do with writing! I have always mentally set up rewards for things I know are going to be difficult to get through, anyway. Colour coding different areas of my life seemed like fun in the beginning, but I soon got bored with it. However, there are pages at the end of each month with questions about how the month has gone. I do find those useful. The planner also helps me keep on track of goals set and nudges me into keeping things going.

Finding outlets for work can be time consuming. In my last post I mentioned two sources for finding publications accepting work, and for up and coming competitions. Another source I have found useful is Twitter. At least two publications I have submitted to this month have come from Twitter. The thing is, so many publications close down, other submissions windows aren't open. Often I find their 'wants' obscure, or the genre doesn't fit mine. By the time I have eliminated all the publications that I don't 'fit' (and that can also include age, culture and sexual orientation) all those magazines I'd highlighted are whittled down to just two or three at best. Which is why I find Twitter so good. Often I find magazines I have not seen on any list. You really have to do your work.

My current work in progress is going slowly. With this one there is a certain amount of planning,  but each scene needs thought. My way of working this one is to visualise each scene in my head first. Notes are then made before writing. Because I don't want revels to come too quickly, I need to work out when and how things are revealed. I am sure lots of writers know when they start a piece what length it is going to be. Me? No! I start writing with enthusiasm and see how much it has in it and whether it is just a short story or maybe, my favourite, a novella. In the past, I have changed a poem to a flash or short story and vice versa. A work will often shout out at you about what it wants to be. If unsure, just experiment with other forms.

At present I am laid low with a rotten cold. Reluctantly, I have had to cancel a couple of things, but I am able to write. My imagination is still functioning and I've banged out a few poems, and last night when I was in bed I played out the next scene of my WIP. Not the entire scene because I fell asleep, but enough to get me started. I always say that I know when I'm on the mend because I start to get bored and want to get out and about and do things. I'm not there yet, but at least I can write.

I have heard back from my beta reader. She is half way through the first read of my novella (she says the first read is always for the enjoyment). Her second read through will bring up points she doesn't understand, or don't work for her, as well any grammar and punctuation errors. She has only made one comment so far about one thing that 'sticks out'. Is that good or bad? I will have to wait and see.

One last thing I would mention is that the more submissions you have out there, the less likely you are to ponder over what you have sent. It stops that waiting around for replies with a sinking feeling! Just get on and submit, and if a 'no' comes, look at it again, make any changes that might improve the work and re-submit elsewhere. Good luck. Keep writing.

No comments: