Pages

Wednesday 22 August 2018

Read all about it! Poem published today in The People's Friend

Today I went down to WHSmith and got my hands on The People's Friend Special 162 and found my poem inside. Exciting, or what?

Back in April I submitted four poems to them as I'd heard they were looking for new poets. They have a particular format to adhere to and I was thrilled when I received an email letting me know that they wanted to publish one of my poems and were interested in others I'd sent. I was numb with excitement. I then had to sit on this because as they say 'don't count your chickens until they hatch.' I was terrified something would go wrong but I have to say they have been efficient and soon I had a contract and a date when my poem would be published. Even so, the wait has been agonising. Finally, today is the day!

Even before this one was published I was emailed about the second poem they wanted to publish. I have no idea when that will be but I've been paid for both. I can't remember the last time I was ever paid for a poem.....it's way back in the depths of time.

While I've been struggling with self doubt in my writing this has been a light in that dark tunnel. Maybe  I'll pour myself a wee drink tonight to celebrate.

No comments: