Pages

Monday 25 April 2016

NaPoWriMo - Day 25 - first line from another poem

Day 25 of NaPoWriMo is to write a poem that begins with a line from another poem. It just so happens that I have one of those! It comes from a Paul Farley poem.

Weathering
(inspired by Paul Farley with acknowledgement to him for my first line!)

Is mine the only heart out in this weather
battling against the ache of the unspoken in the wind,
the deluge of rain tearing down the sky?

I tried to leave it behind by a cosy fire
but it is so attached to me that I cannot wrench it away
and its icy fingers numb my chest.

It is self-indulgent, wallowing in pity
I tell it a joke and it shuns me. How can you? it says,
can’t you hear my anguish?

I wish to abandon it, leave it with the lost souls,
trade it in for an unhurt model or one that can withstand

the weathering of emotional turmoil head on.


No comments: