Pages

Saturday 2 April 2016

NaPoWriMo Day 2

Today's NaPoWriMo prompt is to write a poem (in any form) as a family portrait. Writing about my family is quite emotional. When I submit poetry to magazines or to competitions based on my family no one really knows me, my family, or if indeed it is actually about anyone in my family. This is more 'out there' so I have kept my poem general and only about my mum and dad. It was still hard to write! There are so many images I could use and it sets me off. Anyway, here we are.

Snapshot

Dad had his corner with ashtray and pipe,
record collection and cassette tapes,
a set of headphones on standby.

Mum had her knitting and TV,
her soprano voice to sing with,
the endless wash days and menus.

Dad had his tool shed furnished
with old kitchen units; cupboards
and drawers filled with tools.

Mum had her garden, the roses,
the pear tree and the greenhouse
my granddad built.

I remember my Dad’s laughter,
Mum’s stories of the family already passed

and the feeling of being loved, of being safe.

My mum and dad with Dinah the dog!

No comments: