Pages

Thursday 21 April 2016

NaPoWriMo Day 21 - a sea story

For today's NaPoWriMo prompt see here. To write a poem from the viewpoint of a minor character from a fairy tale or myth was a challenge too far this early in the morning. However, my poem today comes from a picture accompanying a trance mix I was listened to as I wrote. I have tried to capture that point where myth, reality and dreams merge. It was a sort of stream of conscious. So, while not truly sticking to the prompt there is a shade of the idea there....a very tenuous one!

Sea Story

I know this place,
I have been here in my dreams,
seen this sea wash this shore
as the sun dips the horizon.

I remember the children’s voices
echoing across the miles
shrieking like the gulls,
circling the golden sky.

The tide rolls in a thunder,
my ears catch every nuance
as it speaks the language
of mermaids and lost cities

and back to when the world began.
I am hypnotised by its stories
and dream - reality and myth merge.
I am here. I know I am here

watching debris wash in, torn nets,
my life in broken pieces of wood,
floating, rhythmically turning
in the ebb and flow.

I taste the salt on my lips,
healing hurts only my dream hide;
the sea holds a promise
to wash away those dark places.

I kneel on the sand, sinking
into pools of icy loam, they rise
in threat, cover me, numbing me,
renewing me. I am whole again.

I know this place, this ancient sea,
I have been here before
I hear the voices of children

and recognise my own.



No comments: