Pages

Tuesday 16 July 2013

#wpad July challenge - Genre

GENRE

In poetry there are no subjects I wouldn't tackle.  I've written about pregnancy through to death, relationships, religion/faith, murder, violence, the dark side/gothic, dreams, justice and nature.

There must be 1000's of  books out there with
 the same dreadful cover!
The few stories I have written always seem to have a sci-fi/supernatural/futuristic slant - not actually in an alien world, more when they visit us.  And now I will admit something.  Some years ago the Daily Mail newspaper offered to publish readers books - two copies of the book  for something like £19.99. They would not read it, edit or change anything so it would be published as it was sent in.  You could add a photo and some blurb.  This is vanity publishing, nothing illegal and the Daily Mail were upfront about what was possible and I don't remember there being an offer to buy extra copies.  There might have been but I didn't do that.  I knew exactly what this was and I also knew that the story I was going to send in was no masterpiece.  Even so I decided to edit it but with a deadline before the offer ran out I wondered if I could do it.  I did and in fact I ended up with four copies for some reason but I didn't pay extra.  This book just served a purpose and I knew what I was doing.  I just wanted to see what it would look like to have a book in print.  Reading it now (it's from 2005...well the final edit!) I'm embarrassed.  If I'd had the time it might have been easier to re-write the whole thing.  The idea was good but some of the writing is bad!  I think I originally wrote it in the early/mid '80's.  Anyway, it was exciting in a self-indulgent way. I still hope to see a book of mine in print but this time I hope it will be poetry......and published through a proper publisher.

No comments: