Pages

Tuesday 25 June 2019

A quick book round up and writing update

I've read a contrasting set of books lately and evoked a contrasting set of responses!

Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee is the follow up to To Kill a Mockingbird . This was perhaps a better read than I expected after friends had commented and I'd read reviews. No, it's not as good as the first, yet does shed light on the background, the prejudices and fear that was held in that part of the USA. There were times when I got bogged down with the flits to the past that seemed to drag out, but I'm still glad I read it.

History of Wolves by Emily Fridlund promised so much but I was disappointed. Descriptions were wonderfully written  but where was the story going? I got almost half way when I wondered whether to continue. I had to switch to another book, at which point I realised the affect History of Wolves was having on me. There was nothing joyful in it and it had dragged me down making me feel miserable. However, after a break of a few days I decided to finish it and read it as fast as possible. It didn't change my mind. I felt the story line and scenes dragged on far too long. Basically the story is about a girl who is left mainly to her own devices who becomes friends with a family in another cabin (this is set in the USA). She looks after the little boy but all is not well. It seems he is ill but the family are Christian Scientists. This took an age to be revealed and I thought there would be much more revealed in the court case. No. This one was not for me.

The Inner Life of Animals by Peter Wohlleben was my breath of fresh air, the book I turned to while reading the History of Wolves. This was brilliant. Written in laymans terms, so delightful and informative, sometimes amusing and a sheer pleasure to read. Books on nature and the environments are very in at the moment, and I've read quite a few. In fact I am gathering a small pile of them. Having already read The Life of Trees some while ago, this (by the same author) is another delight. I have one more of his books to read on my ever growing pile. This one was really me.


The Hive by Bee Wilson (yes really), was a originally bought for my husband who is a third generation bee keeper, although we don't have a hive! He helped his father back in the day and for a few years helped at a local Beekeeping Association. However, my husband has never read this. This book follows our association with bees from the start and includes how hives have changed, who discovered what, how the Romans (and others) though society was modeled on bees until they discovered that the the big bee was female not male, and that the drones do nothing. They are fed and cleaned until it's time to go out and mate with a queen, after which they die. Any that don't mate and come back to the hive are ignored and thrown out. Hives were used in warfare (being thrown at the enemy) and then there is meade making and cooking. Honey took a downturn when sugar came along and was much cheaper and easier. Everything you want to know about honey (and maybe a few you don't) is here. Makes a fascinating read.


The Registrar's Manual for Detecting Forced Marriage by Sophie Hardach was different. Heartbreaking, funny and thought provoking. When the Registrar (who is never named) has doubts about a marriage in her place of work it takes her back to the time she made a split decision and married Salim, a young Kurdish asylum seeker who would be deported on his eighteenth birthday. The book is seen through both their eyes and is mostly about their life and touches on the suspect marriage now and then. We learn about Salim's background, having been trafficked aged 13 (and this was a guess as no one knew his birth date, even his mother) firstly to Italy by boat and on to Germany. It raises questions and makes you think about refugees, about refused applications and deportation to countries where the person may be killed. Sophie has researched this well and lists her references. I really enjoyed this book and am keen to read her next book which she mentions briefly in the Q&A at the end of the book.


One I have given up on is the Tom Hanks book Uncommon Type, a book of short stories which is my book club read. Sorry, the stories just don't connect with me and has so many Americanisms that it put me off. The first story was ok, but then I found I was skim reading and life is too short when I have a pile of other books waiting.

______

A quick writing catch up - this week I am taking part in the Arvon 5 Day Challenge. This has come at the right time as my poetry head is drying up! I hope my poetry writing improves, but anyway it does mean I have new ideas to work with, especially as I was unable to attend the last writing meet-up (I have two weddings in one month to attend!). They are now on a two week break. I also have a potential story idea rolling around in my head. Anyone else taking part in the Arvon challenge?

No comments: