Pages

Wednesday 1 November 2017

NaNoWriMo - Starts today

I said I wouldn't do it again. Welcome to November and NaNoWriMo. And yes, I'm participating.

This time I am doing it differently. I'm not writing a novel for starters. I'm putting together a collection of short stories on a spooky theme. Of course I have seen some drawbacks. Most of my stories come in at around 1,000 words, 2,000 at a push. That's a lot of short stories to write to reach the goal of 50,000 words in a month. I also think 50,000 words for a short story collection is too many. How long are short story collections? I need to investigate. So I have thought about this.

I am trying to write some longer stories. I did recently write one which came out at just over 6,700 words. While this is a little odd in content I don't think it quite fits this supposed collection unfortunately. I have also thought that if I do reach the target of 50,000 words I can then choose the best for the collection and I might have enough for a second collection sometime (ever the optimist).

I have a few drafts I've been working on over the last week and after a great feedback session yesterday at my writing group the first story has been edited and my first word count recorded on the NaNoWriMo website this morning. I'm off and running! I didn't hit my day's target but I'm more laid back this time. I'm doing it more for motivation (she says) and if I don't get to 50,000 words I should still have a nice collection. (Of course I shall get to 50,000 words. I'm competitive - I have to win even if I'm up at 4am to get there)

Last Friday I went along to a launch event for NaNoWriMo at a local library which was brilliant. Those of us who had done it before were able to give some advice and we had a little exercise in finding story ideas. The library is running workshops all through November and I'm intending to get there. I have recommended it to members of the writing group. Even if they don't take part they will pick up some advice on novel writing and helpful information about creating characters and plotting etc., useful for any type of writing. (See below for a picture of the wonderful goodie bag I received at the launch party)

By writing short stories I've realised that I need to find new characters and plots on a regular basis. It means writing something new everyday, or thereabouts. How will I cope? How indeed!

Contents of goodie bag

No comments: