Pages

Friday 20 November 2015

Winchester

Winchester Christmas Market 
I have fallen in love with our room at the B&B. It is cosy and quiet yet within a couple of minutes walk of the city of Winchester.

Last evening we went to the opening of the Christmas Market and ice rink positioned in the Inner Close of the cathedral. The Dean and the Mayor were there. The Dean reminder everyone about what Christmas means and said prayers. The Mayer read part of the Christmas story and the choristers from the cathedral sang, and for one carol, the audience joined in. The mayor then cut the ribbon!

Entertainment came from the Basingstoke Ice Skaters and someone off of one of the TV programmes who skated with flaming torches. Once all the entertainment was over we headed for the stall selling mulled wine!

We had had a look around earlier in the afternoon. The market is lovely. I don’t know about finding presents for family – I can certainly find  things for myself.

Winchester offers something for everyone. Here you can  take walks from the Tourist Information Centre. One follows in the footsteps of Keats while he stayed here. He found inspiration for his poetry within the city of Winchester.

I am now in my favourite cafe! Just had some delicious mushroom soup. Earlier we tried to book for one of the tower tours at the cathedral, which are running some evenings. The tour ends with mulled wine and mince pies. Unfortunately they are fully booked during our stay. I shall just have to come back next year! In fact it might be rather nice because I can plan better and book the tour in advance – maybe in early December enabling me to attend one of the Christmas concerts.

The weather, which was rainy yesterday, has improved today. No rain so far, though overcast. It has turned colder though, and tonight the temperature is due to drop considerably. I have brought my hat, scarf and gloves ready! Maybe we will even wake to snow!
Ice Rink, Winchester






No comments: