Pages

Tuesday 10 November 2015

Books I keep

I'm not really one to re-read books, and, unless the book is one of reference, once read they usually end up at the charity shop, a book swap or I give them to friends. There are, of course, always exceptions.

On the left are five books I have kept. At the top to the left is One Hundred and One Dalmatians by Dodie Smith. I bought this at my school fair when I was about fourteen or fifteen for 6d! I came late to reading but I'm making up for it now. The book is falling apart but it has been read so many times. It has little black and white illustrations and a map. I was completely in love with this book. It's been a while since I last read it but I cannot put it out.

Next to it is The Loving Spirit by Daphne Du Maurier which belonged to my mum. It's a Book Club edition from 1946. I don't think this is such a well known book of hers because when I've mentioned it before no one has heard of it. The story is a family saga and I was hooked on it. I've kept it because this is one I do want to read again one day. From what I remember (it's years since I read this) you just sink into it - a feel good story with a nice ending (well wrapped up).

Below to the left is Peace at Last by Jill Murphy. I bought this book for my eldest son when he was tiny and he loved it. Somehow I've never been able to part with it. I adore children's books. They gave me as much pleasure reading them as the kids had listening. Kids are different though, one of my sons loved all the voices I did, the other wanted the stories straight! There were many kids books I enjoyed but there were some I loathed reading again and again - with two sons I was not expecting My Little Pony to be one of them! Somehow we graduated to Transformers!

To the right is Indoor Gardening. This belonged to my aunt and I guess it came our way after she died. The book found a place with me. I love the simple illustrations and the no-nonsense methods. This book also has my aunt's writing in it. Inside the cover is her name and growing instructions for some plant I haven't a clue about! It is also a Ladybird book and I loved Ladybird books. This year went to exhibition of Ladybird book cover designs. fascinating as well as nostalgic.

Finally there is a book called Flowers. I gave this to mum and when she died I kept it. My grandparents were the real gardeners in our family (my mum's parents) but when they died my mum took over the garden (all three generations lived under one room for a time and at one point there was four generations, but that's another story).

So there we have it! Do you have a favourite book that you cannot part with? If, so, what is it?

No comments: