Pages

Friday 28 November 2014

The trials of editing

Coming down to earth after NaNoWriMo (though the novel is still on my mind), I decided to do a little editing on previous writing. Went back to a story I'd written at least a year ago which I'd previously edited quite heavily but still wasn't happy with over the ending.  In fact I did yet another edit as well as changing the ending! Now I'm not sure what to do with it. The piece is a little over 15,000 words so too long for a short story, not long enough for a novella and seems to sit in the less likely area of a novelette. To get it to novella stage I'd have to write an extra 2,000 words. The piece is a mystery/ghost type of story. Where do I go with it now?

Ah the dilemmas of writing. Before I do anything else perhaps I should now run off a hard copy again and see how it looks on paper. Maybe there is another edit in there! Perhaps I should try and find someone to read it.

Titles are always something I struggle with. It's bad enough with poetry but stories are harder. This current piece I'm editing has had a working title which is awful. I've come up with something a bit better but I'm still note sure it has the right feel for the type of story so I suppose the whole thing is still a work in progress. It would be nice to have one of my stories at a point when I could submit. They take so long to write and edit!

No comments: