Pages

Sunday 5 May 2013

Holiday reading

What do you take on holiday to read?  I would have loved to take the latest book I'm reading - Peaches for Monsieur le Cure by Joanne Harris - but it's a library copy, too big and bulky to pack.  So I took a Susan Hill's book The Bird of Night, a Woman's Weekly Fiction Special and the latest New Writer magazine.  The book was a disappointment.  I usually enjoy Susan Hill's books but this, about friendship and madness, I couldn't get into.  However, it was a short read and I finished it in about three days, glad it was over!

The Fiction Special (which I finished on the plane back home) was really good.  There were a few longer stories to really get into - contrary to what I said about short stories a few weeks back (must have been an off day!).  Anyone who can get into print I admire and I'm not a short story writer myself.  The New Writer magazine I've also nearly finished and have enjoyed too.

Now I'm back and into Joanne Harris' book again.  This is the third in the series as Vianne Rocher returns to Lansquenet, the place of Chocolat.  Really enjoying the revisit.

No comments: