Pages

Friday 12 April 2013

NaPoWriMo - free verse poem


April 12th

I did have a poem ready for posting here yesterday but I was out all day.  I had a quiet day at a retreat centre and didn't want to ruin the atmosphere by logging on to my computer when I got home.  So better late than never here is want you would have yesterday using the prompt of a first line from a random choice poem.....again Mr Farley!


Weathering
(inspired by Paul Farley with acknowledgement to him for my first line!)

Is mine the only heart out in this weather
battling against the ache of the unspoken in the wind,
the deluge of rain tearing down the sky?

I tried to leave it behind by a cosy fire
but it is so attached to me that I cannot wrench it away
and its icy fingers numb my chest.

It is self-indulgent, wallowing in pity
I tell it a joke and it shuns me. How can you? it says,
can’t you hear my anguish?

I wish to abandon it, leave it with the lost souls
trade it in for an unhurt model or one that can withstand
the weathering of emotional turmoil head on.

No comments: