Pages

Saturday 6 October 2018

Winchester Poetry Festival and other stuff

I always enjoy the Winchester Poetry Festival and it gives me a good excuse to visit the city I call my second home. I love it there.

This year it was a quick visit and I wondered how difficult it would be with South Western Trains on strike. Actually, the train we aimed for was on time! It was a beautiful autumn day and it was obvious that the poetry festival wasn't the only thing going on in town. David Attenborough was signing copies of his book in Waterstones and the queue was all the way down the high street. However, we headed for our favourite cafe for afternoon tea, followed by a wander by the river before heading to the Discovery Centre to see Ian McMillan at 6.30pm. I bought a copy of his new selected poems and while we were queuing to go in Ian strolled along the line chatting, mug of tea in hand. I asked if he'd sign my copy of his book which he duly did. I love the words he wrote because I always have happy days in Winchester.

That one hour listening to Ian McMillan read and tell stories went by so quickly. Laughter rang out through the auditorium and I could have listened to him all night. He is down to earth and funny and he talked a lot about his family and how the poems came to be written.  What a lovely evening. But that was the end of my visit to the festival this year. I know I'll be back. I was tempted by other books on the stalls but I'd bought so many lately. As it happened, I'd accidentally left all my credit cards at home so hubby to pay for everything yesterday, including dinner in a local pub afterwards, before we headed home on the slow train to London!

In other news, my second poem for The People's Friend was published in their autumn special on Wednesday and Visual Verse has published a poem of mine on their website this weekend (page 15). There is more of my work in their archive where you can find my author page. Here you will find poetry and flash fiction.

Ian (right) with the Chair of the Winchester Poetry Festival

Autumn in Winchester


No comments: