Pages

Wednesday 13 January 2016

An unexpected present

I received an unexpected gift today. A friend from the community choir I sing with gave me a poetry book. I don't think anyone has ever bought me a poetry book and I was in fear of getting emotional! She said she only picked it up in a charity shop. I really don't care. I'm just touched at her lovely thoughtful present. My friend said it was a thank me for printing out all the lyrics and singing schedules for her (she doesn't have a computer), even though she had already given me a small gift at Christmas (a mirror depicting one of Eadweard Muybridge's moving pictures on the other side, and which I love).

The poetry book is Selected Poems by Sophie Hannah. Strangely, although I've come across her name many times, I have never read any of her poetry. Over lunch I read a few at random. I didn't realise she wrote humorous poetry that rhymed! I shall enjoy delving into these. No chance of having to unravel sentences to get to the meaning here! These will tickle my funny bone. There's nothing like a dose of light verse.

No comments: