Pages

Saturday 3 September 2011

Early morning jogging for the brain!

I was up earlier than usual today and thought it would be a good time to do some writing.  I was trying to talk myself out of it (as you do) and wondering what to write.  I remembered that earlier in the year I bought a downloadable course from The Society School and hadn't made much headway with it.  In fact I am only on Lesson 3 so I decided to attempt the exercises to finish it off.  From not having much idea what to write about I ended up with three poems.  The first part of the lesson was on how couplets work so one exercise was writing a poem using couplets.  Another exercise was taking an existing draft and experimenting with the structure and finally to write using the whole of an A4 sheet writing different length of lines and indenting some, really play with it.  Once I got going I really enjoyed it and wrote possibly the longest poem I'd written in years.  Here is my couplet (the explanation of couplets is that each new couplet offers something new, a progression apparently).  It is still a quick draft but here goes:

The Last Day of Summer

Quickly
I razor my armpits

re-varnish my toe nails
pull on shorts and vest

dust down the plastic chair
take root with a book

drain the sun's energy
and store

No comments: