Pages

Thursday 1 August 2019

Poetry challange and Live Canon August Literary Treasure Hunt

All the staring out of the window at St Ives
and no inspiration to write poetry.
Having been away to Cornwall for a few nights my poetry challenge took rather a nose dive. I did take a notebook, pens and pencils and one morning I stood at the window of our room in the B&B and tried to find inspiration. I ended up with a rubbish set of words about shimmering water and heat! I gave up.

When I got back to my laptop I realised how behind I was. I know I don't have to write a poem every day. No one is going have a go if I don't get my seven a week, but I needed to get back on track for me. The first few attempts were more notes than fully formed poems. They had the basics that might warrant a proper editing in time.

In the last day the words began to flow again and I've ended up back on track with some poems that really excite me. Two came out of things we did on holiday and have nothing to do with shimmering seas!

I've have entered the thirteen week of this year challenge. Thirteen isn't an unlucky number for me as both good and bad things have happened on the 13th, so I'd never worry or avoid that number. My mother was the superstitious one, which makes me laugh because she was religious and somehow the two don't go together.

I was having a look through some saved items from Facebook yesterday and came across a story writing competition for humorous stories. The closing date was that day. Luckily I had just the right piece (well, hopefully) and submitted it. I've also entered the Winchester Poetry Competition this year too. My submissions have slowed down and I don't think I have anything else out there right now.

I've just joined Live Canon's Literary Treasure Hunt for August. Each day they send you a poem to explore by a different poet and then you search within their work to answer a clue. At the end of the month you have 30 words to solve the final clue. Something like that. I've received the intro letter and await the first poem. I thought it would be good fun, a way to find new poets and discover new work. The cost is £20 for the month. You still have time to sign up if you are quick.

No comments: