Pages

Thursday 22 December 2016

Getting away from manic characters for Christmas!

I had already decided to take a break from writing to concentrate on Christmas. I did not want character turmoil interfering with my preparations. I was at that point where I could break off. Most of what is waiting for me is editing and submissions.

I had already thought about next year and where I go from here. I had tentative plans to spend some time reading up some books on writing and tackling some writing exercises from them. And then I thought, why wait until the new year? So I have already started using Writer to Writer by Gail Carson Levine. I bought a new notebook and have been writing by hand, something I haven't done in a long time. Each chapter of the book comes with some prompts to get you writing. There were three at the end of the first chapter (which is as far as I have got but I'm enjoying it). The first thing I noticed was how weird my stories were! The exercises take you out of your comfort zone and get you writing things you would never normally even consider. The aim isn't to produce fantastic prize winning writing (though you never know) but to get your imagination going and to write something. I don't think I'd ever have written what I have in any other life!




And now I have succumbed to the inevitable cold everyone has had or is suffering right now. It means that I have to take it easy for a bit and I do need that. Switching off is very hard for me. So right now I am catching up with reading, watching things I recorded from the TV and napping!

I did, this morning, tackle a massive ironing pile and clear the airing cupboard of the last lot as well as strip techie son's bed (been asking him for ages to do it) and put it all in the wash.

Luckily I have Christmas more or less wrapped up (pun not/intended - delete whichever you like!) as after a slow start I accomplished a lot in one week. I've got through all my commitments, seen the friends I needed to exchanged gifts with so I can now relax. Hopefully I will be okay by Christmas Day. We have sporty son's girlfriend staying two nights but otherwise nothing else on the agenda.

I always have a book list to give to the boys and this year I have opted for a couple of books from Indie authors. I still have a backlog of books to read but really, can you ever have enough books? I've just finished reading Calling Mrs Christmas! by Carole Matthews which was given as a present last year. I was knee deep in War & Peace at the time so I saved it for this year. Carole's books are always good fun but now I want something dark - a thriller/crime perhaps. In My cupboard upstairs I know where there is one!

This could well be my last post before Christmas. I'm still waiting on two things which were supposed to be happening for me this month but no news yet. I seem to spend a lot of time waiting!
Anyway, I'm off to the sofa via the kitchen. Why do colds make me so hungry? It's all I can do not to open the Christmas food!

Have a great Christmas and I hope the New Year brings everything you dream of. Happy writing and reading and thanks for dropping by here throughout the year. Hope you continue to visit next year.




No comments: