Pages

Wednesday 12 November 2014

NaNoWriMo 2014 - day 12, a struggle

A beautiful sky to look at helps the writing process.
Well, here I am at the end of day twelve and boy it has been a slog today. Last night I realised that some of my plots would not work and I needed to rough out some questions and answers to get to the bottom of it. It took me all evening and a few pages of notes before I was happy. Great, I thought, now I'm cooking. Ah! if only it was that simple. I was up later this morning and didn't really have enough time to do my writing stint before I went off to choir so I didn't get to it until this afternoon. First off I couldn't get a word down and I'm talking to myself, telling myself to type anything even it it's nothing to do with the story and I was about to do that when I began with just the name of my main character and slowly invented a scene. It has been a great effort to hit the word count today. I've managed it though. Such a contrast from yesterday when I wrote like someone possessed. I wonder whether this happened because I was out of routine or it's just the wall they talk about on the NaNoWriMo website.

However, the good part of today was a writing a funny scene which made me laugh. The tea I was drinking went down the wrong way and left me coughing like crazy for a while. All worth it!

The other good thing is that I have reached the 20,000 word mark. I am still worried about keeping the story going without padding it out with useless stuff.

Over the weekend I was off colour. I had a temperature but no other symptoms and Sunday was an awful writing day. But I kept at it and am still on target to finish in time as long as I keep up.

I still find I think about my characters, plot, scenes when I'm not writing and I spend time doing a little research as I go. My main worry is still sounding authentic in the genre. I have sent for a book recommended by a column writer in Writer's Forum entitled The Crime Writer's Guide to Police Practice and Procedure. It should arrive tomorrow. I didn't realise how hard it is find a book on UK Police. I found an excellent sounding one on Amazon and was keen to buy it but I didn't know whether it was UK of US. The description did not say. I read all the feedback comments and finally almost the very last comment said US. I was so disappointed. This could be a very long edit coming!




No comments: